To Prepare and Sterlise Beef Agar Culture Media.
- Agar 15g
- Peptone. 5g
- NaCl. 5g
- Beef extract 3g
- Distilled water q.s. to produce 1000ml
- Take a sterilized beaker. Add 200ml of water and 15g of agar powder.
- Heat the mixture on the hot plate till the agar dissolves completely in it. It may require to reach at 80-90°C temperature of mixture.
- Allow to cool the mix. When it comes to 60-70°C add and dissolve beef extract in it.
- Now add and dissolve Peptone and NaCl in it.
- Maintain the pH at 7.4 using 5% NaOH solution.
- Heat the mix at 60-70°C for about 5-10 minutes.
- Using autoclave sterilize the prepared culture.
- After sterilisation pour agar culture in petry dish and allow to cool.
Application of different ingredients
Peptone: It provide proties nutrition so that bacteria can grow on it.
Agar: It provide viscosity to the culture media.
Beef extract: It has many water soluble organic nutrition from animal tissue like organic nitrogen compound, carbohydrates, salts and vitamins-minerals. It is the main source of organic nitrogen for growing bacteria.
NaCl: It maintain the electrolyte osmolarity in the culture media.
- Do not heat the culture media above 70°C.
- Use sterilized glassware.
- Always use gloves and facemask.
- Do not dispose the culture media in the flush, dump it in soil.