Aim: To prepare and submit 7-hydroxy-4-methyl Coumarin from Resorcinol by green technique (Pechmann Condensation).
REQUIREMENT: Ethyl acetoacetate, resorcinol, pipette, measuring cylinder.
THEORY: Resorcinol reacts with ethyl acetoacetate in the presence of concentrated sulphuric acid to form 7-hydroxy-4-methyl Coumarin.
- Dissolve 1.1g resorcinol in 1.35g of ethyl acetoacetate in a 50ml dry round bottom flask.
- Add 1.5g K10-montmorilonite clay to the mixture & mix thoroughly by a glass rod.
- Finally reaction mixture is appeared as paste..
- Heat on hot water bath for 3-4 hours
- Cool the reaction mixture at room temperature.
- Extract the 7-hydroxy-4-methyl Coumarin with ether by vigorous shaking.
- Separate the clay by filtration through Whatman Grade 4 filter paper.
- Separate the ether for 2 times.
- Evaporate the filtrate and product is found as a white solid.
FACTOR: The yield of 7-hydroxy-4-methyl Coumarin was 1.5g and M.P. was 188-190ºC.
USES: Coumarin and its derivative are examples of anticoagulant agents. They are widely used to present coagulation of blood under certain medical condition.
RESULT: The yield of obtained product was found to be __ and percentage yield was and M.P. was found to be __ .
REFERENCE: Furniss B., Hannaford A., Smith P., Tatchell A., “Vogel’s textbook of practical organic chemistry”, 5th edition,