Medicinal Chemistry in B. Pharmacy 4th Semester is designed to impart fundamental knowledge on the structure chemistry and therapeutic value of drugs. Here in this article we will discuss some of the most important questions from Medicinal Chemistry – I, B. Pharmacy 4th Semester as per PCI Syllabus pattern.
Medicinal Chemistry – I, B. Pharmacy 4th Semester
Unit-II, Course Content:
- Drugs acting on Autonomic Nervous System
- Adrenergic Neurotransmitters:
- Biosynthesis and catabolism of catecholamine
- Adrenergic receptors (Alpha and Beta) and their distribution
- Sympthomimetic agents: SAR of Sympathomimetic agents
- Direct acting: Nor-epinephrine, Epinephrine, Phenylephrine, Dopamine, Methyldopa, Clonidine, Dobutamine, Isoproterenol, Terbutaline, Salbutamol, Bitolterol, Naphazoline, Oxymetazoline, Zylometazolne.
- Indirect acting: Hydroxy amphetamine, Pseudoephedrine, Propylhexedrine.
- Agents with mixed mechanism: Ephedrine, Metaraminol
- Adrenergic Antagonists:
- Alpha adrenergic blockers: Tolazoline, Phentolamine, Phenoxybenzamine, Prazosin, Dihydroergotamine, Methysergide.
- Beta adrenergic blockers: SAR of beta blockers, Propranolol, Metipranolol, Atenolol, Betazolol, Bisoprolol, Esmolol, Metoprolol, Labetalol, Carvedilol.
Most Important Questions:
5 marks questions: [Note: Two five marks questions may be asked together for 10 marks.]
- Write note on Biosynthesis and catabolism of catecholamine. [2019, 2020]
- Classify sympathomimetics drugs along with their structure and mechanism of action. 
- Discuss the synthesis of salbutamol and propranolol. 
- Discuss synthetic procedure and uses of Tolazoline. [Revised 2020]
- Give the synthetic procedure and uses of Salbutamol. [Revised 2020]
- Write a note on biosynthesis of catecholamines. [Revised 2020]
- Give the synthesis of phenylephrine. 
- Write a note on beta-adrenergic blockers and give the synthesis of propranolol. 
- Discuss adrenergic neurotransmitters. Classify them with examples.
- Discuss the adrenergic receptors and their distribution.
- Write the SAR of Sympathomimetics agents.
- Give structure, mechanism of action, and uses of any two of the following:
- Give the synthesis and mechanism of action of any two of the following:
10 marks questions:
- Write a short note on the following:
- Metabolism of Catecholamine [Revised 2020]
- SAR of catecholamine
- Classify the Adrenergic agonists with their structure, mechanism of action and uses for each.
- Classify the Adrenergic antagonists with their structure, uses and mechanism of action.