Medicinal Chemistry in B. Pharmacy 4th Semester is designed to impart fundamental knowledge on the structure chemistry and therapeutic value of drugs. Here in this article we will discuss some of the most important questions from Medicinal Chemistry – I, B. Pharmacy 4th Semester as per PCI Syllabus pattern.
Medicinal Chemistry – I, B. Pharmacy 4th Semester
Unit-III, Course Content:
- Cholinergic neurotransmitters:
- Biosynthesis and catabolism of acetylcholine
- Cholinergic receptors (Muscarinic & Nicotinic) and their distribution.
- Parasympathomimetic agents: SAR of Parasympathomimetic agents
- Direct acting agents: Acetylcholine, Carbachol*, Bethanechol, Methacholine, Pilocarpine.
- Indirect acting/ Cholinesterase inhibitors (Reversible & Irreversible): Physostigmine, Neostigmine*, Pyridostigmine, Edrophonium chloride, Tacrine hydrochloride, Ambenonium chloride, Isofluorphate, Echothiophate iodide, Parathione, Malathion.
- Cholinesterase reactivator: Pralidoxime chloride.
- Cholinergic Blocking agents: SAR of cholinolytic agents
- Solanaceous alkaloids and analogues: Atropine sulphate, Hyoscyamine sulphate, Scopolamine hydrobromide, Homatropine hydrobromide, Ipratropium bromide*.
- Synthetic cholinergic blocking agents: Tropicamide, Cyclopentolate hydrochloride, Clidinium bromide, Dicyclomine hydrochloride*, Glycopyrrolate, Methantheline bromide, Propantheline bromide, Benztropine mesylate, Orphenadrine citrate, Biperidine hydrochloride, Procyclidine hydrochloride*, Tridihexethyl chloride, Isopropamide iodide, Ethopropazine hydrochloride.
Most Important Questions:
5 marks questions: [Note: Two five marks questions may be asked together for 10 marks.]
- What notes on cholinesterase inhibitors. 
- Discuss the synthesis of neostigmine and dicyclomine. 
- Write a note on the SAR of anticholinergics. [Revised 2020]
- Discuss the synthetic procedure and uses of Dicyclomine. [Revised 2020]
- Give the synthesis of Ipratropium bromide and neostigmine. 
- Give the synthesis, mechanism of action and uses of Procyclidine hydrochloride. 
- Discuss the biosynthesis and catabolism of acetylcholine.
- Discuss the cholinergic receptors and their distrubution.
- Write a note on SAR of parasympathomimetic agents.
- Write the structure and use of any two of the following:
- Ipratropium bromide
- Write the mechanism of action, structure and uses of any two of the following:
- Dicyclomine hydrochloride
- Procyclidine hydrochloride
10 marks questions:
- Write a notes on the following
- Cholinergic blocking agents 
- SAR of Acetylcholine. [Revised 2020]
- Classify anticholinergic drugs giving suitable examples from each class. Discuss SAR of anticholinergics. [Revised 2020]
- (a) Give the biosynthesis and catabolism of acetylcholine. (b) What are indirect acting parasympathomimetic agents? Give the chemical name, structure, specific uses and synthesis of neostigmine. 
- Classify the parasympathomimetic agents with suitable examples. Discuss the SAR of parasympathomimetic agents.